Hello! Introduction Post

 Hello

My name is Ava Hiser, I am an International Studies major from Tulsa, Oklahoma, here are some glam pictures of me:


My major is amazing and I get to meet people from all over the world just going to class, and a lot of the time my homework doesn‘t even feel like homework because it is so interesting.

One of the best classes I have ever taken at OU was Poverty and Inequality in the Middle East, it was one of those classes that makes you reexamine everything you thought you knew before the course. 

One of my biggest accomplishments last semester was surviving the beginning of quarantine and adapting to quarantine life but I am concerned I have adapted too well and may become a hermit after it is officially officially over. 



I love reading and watching movies and TV- consuming all media really, recently I have started rewatching Sailor Moon and I just watched the movie Frida for the first time and loved it.

I also love consuming media in the form of music, recently I have been listening some songs by Rico Nasty, 100 gecs, Rina Sawayama, and longtime favorite Nirvana


When I am not watching a screen, doing homework, or reading for class I love playing with my dog Murphy. He is the embodiment of cute, charming, sweet, and perfect. He loves napping, french fries, cantaloupe, the park, his best friends Ollie and Delta, and trying to eat socks when no one is looking. 

I celebrated 6 years of being a vegetarian this past April, and it is a big part of my life that over the years has seemed easier and easier. I honestly forget a lot of the time that I am a vegetarian and it has become so normal to me. People always love to tell me that they couldn’t go vegetarian because of chicken nuggets (or steak, or pork rinds, or burgers, or something else there is a plant based alternative for), and I remember when I was 13 and used to say the exact same thing. Being a vegetarian is the longest thing I have ever done besides like going to school.

I like to cook, and I think I’m pretty good at it too. I really like to cook soups, because I love soup. My favorite way is to roast or boil vegetables then cook them in vegetable broth and blend them up and add a garnish- it looks and feels very fancy. 

Besides cooking for myself as a necessity, I like to sew and paint. I like to alter my own clothes from the thrift store and sometimes I do like to sew things from scratch as well. This summer has been a lot (a lot) of sewing face masks. Painting postcards is a fun way to stay in touch with people and all you have to do is cut out watercolor paper then write the address! I like to do this because my mom lives in Berlin and it is too expensive to send anything bigger to her.

STAY SAFE OUT THERE :)
Stay safe out there!


Comments

  1. Those pictures of Murphy are so adorable, Ava! What a cutie! And if you are interested in learning about the history of vegetarianism (in which India plays an important role!), that would be something that connects up with this class; the Wikipedia article on History of vegetarianism - link is full of information and links... and it is a complicated and even controversial topic in India today; here's an article from an online magazine, Scroll, about Shiva and meat-eating: How Shiva was transformed from a meat-loving deity to a vegetarian god... my favorite Indian dishes are the vegetarian dishes of southern India: have you ever had uttapam? It is my favorite of all! :-) Uttapam link

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ava,
    Your dog is so adorable, and I think his sunglasses suit him so well! International studies sounds like so much fun, and I think it's amazing that you are able to meet people from all around the world. I would love to learn how to make face masks; my sister has been making some, and I think it is such a cool skill to have. I also am venturing into cooking; your vegetable soup sounds really tasty and I bet it tastes amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ava, I'm so glad I came across your page! I loved reading your enthusiasm for your passions. I also love to cook and have mainly a vegetable based diet, although I do love protein. My mom has been vegetarian for most of her life, so I grew up eating the same. I'd love to talk with you about some of your recommended soup recipes because I tend to stick with basic entrees like veggie stir fry or veggie casseroles. Your mom must be so thrilled when she receives your handmade postcards!! So thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ava, I am excited to be able to comment on your page because I am also from Tulsa! Your pets are absolutely adorable. I loved reading your page because I can pratically feel your enthusiasm, and I can tell you are very passionate. I am a big music fan as well, and my taste in music is all over the place, but I am a fan of Nirvana too. I hope you have a great year, and I'm looking forward to reading some of your work over the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ava! I think your dog stole the show on this one, I am sorry to inform you. He is just too freakin cute. No but seriously, I think international studies is an amazing major to shoot for, it definitely sounds like one of the more interesting majors that's for sure! It is cool to see that you are so rounded as an individual with many unique hobbies, I am pretty one dimensional myself, so that is nice to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Ava!

    I think that it's fascinating that you are an International Studies major. I've got quite a few friends who are in the same field and they have all expressed how much they enjoy their work, so it's good to hear you express similar experiences.

    I definitely feel you on the adapting to quarantine bit. I find that I'm preferring my classes online for this semester so that I can maximize my work from home productivity. It was very tough to settle into at first, but I'm glad that you were able to do it!

    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ava,
    I think your major is really cool, international studies sounds very interesting. It’s very cool to see how passionate you are about your major. Your blog in general is very lively I really like the gif and the pictures of your dog. I tried being a vegetarian for a couple of weeks and that was hard enough. I could not imagine being vegetarian for as long as six years, so I applaud your dedication. I look forward to reading your stories this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ava!
    I absolutely LOVE your post card idea! I am definitely going to use that idea to send great postcards to my friends and family, I’m sure they’d appreciate it! It’s also really amazing to see that you’ve been a vegetarian for six years! Wow! I wish I had that kind of dedication, but, like you mentioned, I love chicken way too much. My Chick-fil-A addiction has sort of gotten out of hand. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck this semester! I’m excited to read what you write!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ava,
    International studies would be such a fun major! I'm sure you get to meet people from all over the world while doing the things you love the most in this world. HAAHAH I totally relate to your hermit reference after quarantine. Also, I think a big accomplishment for me as well, was surviving and adapting to quarantine as well. Hope you have a great time in this class!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ava,
    That is some true dedication with being a vegetarian this long. Honestly it would be the decision to start that would be the hardest thing for me. Your dog is so cute, dogs were truly live savers during COVID. They can make you stop hanging out with other people but they can't make you stop hanging out with your dog. Have a great semester.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Ava! You must be one of the last few people I have not met in the class yet. I really admire your vegetarianism! I try like every other month to be plant based, but I am almost never successful for more than a month. I also really like how you have edited all of the images on this page! so cute! Anyways, I hope you have a good rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ava!

    I think your introduction is so cute! I love that you included the pictures and cut them in the way that you could have more in it. I love Tulsa, OK! I am from AR so I always drive through it and it makes a fun little pit stop to my travels. It is super awesome that you are passionate about people and getting to know others!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts