Reading Notes: More Jataka Tales
More Jakata Tales Reading Notes Part A
The Girl Monkey and the String of Pearls
This story had very nice language and was nice and easy to read, I liked that the plot was somewhat easy to see what the end product would be but you never could predict exactly was would happen next. Also for a relatively short story it had a nice cadence in the plot and the plot was well developed.
The Three Fishes
This was also nice to read and was well developed for a short story. I enjoyed the names of the fish and the trick that “VeryThoughtful” played on the fisherman.
The Tricky Wolf and the Rats
The ones where the characters get eaten are never my most favorite- but I still enjoyed reading this one. I liked that the Rats ended up winning and I thought it was sad they were getting eaten. I think it is cool when these shorter stories still build a sense of caring from the reader.
The Woodpecker, Turtle, and Deer
I liked this one a lot. No one got eaten and they all lived happily ever after. I think that this was another good example of building rapport between reader and characters in a short story that was impressive- I was so happy when they all lived happily ever after!
The Golden Goose
I have read another version of this story- I like how stories can change and be retold but still retain their lesson and tone, and that they get a new flavor with each telling. I think this one is a good lesson too.
The Stupid Monkeys
I have read another version of this story before as well- I think this version was still as good but told in a shorter form which was cool.
The Cunning Wolf
This was another short form story that was easy to read and was interesting. I like that these stories have lessons and endings that tell something that is clearly a message.
The Penny-Wise Monkey
There was a version of this story in the book of fables my dad used to read to me when I was little and I like it- I don’t remember the characters from the one he used to read to me but I liked reading it now, it is a pleasant memory and I like the lesson from the story.
The Red-Bud Tree
I thought this one was one where you could see the direction that the story was going but I wasn’t really sure what the point of it all was going to be- then it was clear at the end. I think that that would be hard to try to recreate and I liked that, I would be interested to rewrite a similar story.
I have read this one before too- like the Penny Wise Monkey, but I never really understood the meaning of it. I still am kind of confused but when I think about it I think that maybe there isn’t a lesson to be learned- and I don’t think a story needs a lesson or meaning it can just be nice.



Comments
Post a Comment