Reading Notes: Ramayana Part C

 Vali, Sugreeva, Hanuman, and Rama

Notes on R. K. Narayan’s Ramayana

Sugreeva meets Rama and explains to him all the trauma that befell him at the hands of his brother Vali. 

  • I enjoyed the telling of this story, it was very descriptive and eventful

  • If I was to write my own version of the story I might elaborate on the interaction/battle that took place between Vali and Sugreeva when Vali escapes from his entombment. I think there is a lot of potential there for a longer passage and it would be cool to explore a different type of story telling for that passage. 

I also think that there was a lot of potential for Hanuman’s background to be further developed as he plays such a large role in the coming stories and the Part C as a whole.


Rama goes away from Sugreevas new(ish) kingdom and waits for the army he was promised to come aid in his trial to locate and retrieve his wait.

  • I think this would be a good piece to include in my longer story about the love between Rama and Sita, to really draw it out and make it a more dramatic and pensive period for Rama.

When Rama finally gets his army there is a long passage about the army he acquires and all of the long drawn out routes they take combing the land in search of Sita. 

  • I think this part could be shorter, it lost me on parts and I found myself unable to remember what paragraph I had just read.

Finally, Hanuman grows to mountainous proportions to cross the ocean.

  • I feel like this is another opportunity for rich imagery to be more drawn out and climactic- to build up anticipation for finding Sita at long last. 



Comments

Popular Posts