Reading Notes: Ramayana Part D

 Reading Notes: R. K. Narayan’s Ramayana, Part D 

Hanuman lands in Lanka

  • I enjoyed the story telling in this section of the book, I thought it was very rich in imagery and easy to read, it was paced well.

He looks for Sita, thinks he found her, then really actually finds her

  • I also enjoyed this part as it was rich in imagery and I think that this section could be expanded even, I would like a more extended chapter over Sita in her “exile” in Lanka, brooding over being taken away from Rama.

He burns down Lanka after Vibishana says for Ravana not to kill him

  • I also liked this, I thought it could be expanded upon a little more, I would enjoy writing more about Hanuman wreaking havoc across Lanka.


Vibishana argues with Ravana to make peace with Rama

Ravana does not take his advice

Rama welcomes Vibishana as a refugee and promises him the kingdom of Lanka

Rama and Ravana finally face off with their armies

  • I thought this part was really hard to get through- in reading or watching a story I always tend to drift off or get lost/ uninterested by fighting and conflict scenes that last too long, I just personally have a low threshold for how long of a fight scene I can watch. I do think it created a good amount of suspense though. 

Rama and Sita are reunited

  • I was really excited for Rama and Sita to be rejoined in the end of the book, I was really looking forward to their reunion but I was let down. First I was let down because Rama demanded that Sita be cleaned up and bejeweled before he would see her again after their long separation. I thought that that part was kind of sad, because Sita was jumping out of her skin with excitement to see her beloved again and he met her with suspicion and judgement. If I was to rewrite this part I would either make Rama better and make him excited and their reunion would be beautiful OR I would make Sita indignant at her underwhelming reception.


Rama takes back over as king of Ayodhya 

Comments

Popular Posts