Week 2 Story: Goblin City
Goblin City
Retold by Ava Hiser
Many many years ago, in a far away place, there was a city, more of a town really, composed entirely of Goblins. These Goblins were evil, and smelly- as most Goblins are. But these Goblins had one characteristic that distinguished them from other Goblins, they had a flair for romance. Do you know how difficult it is to find a willing partner for romance when one is a literal Goblin? I’ll answer that question for you. Quite difficult. Being a Goblin is hard enough- nearby towns throw rocks and rotten fruit at you if your walk takes you near them, children cry when they see you, it is really an awful gig. And on top of everything- no man wants to date a Goblin.
The Goblin city I write to tell you the tale of happened to be a colony of female Goblins. They would sing their woes day in and day out, so tired of being single. Then one day they decided that no longer would they sit idly by trying to find ways to make the human men fall in love with them when it was failing time and time again. They needed something better than feminine wiles- Goblin strength. So they made a trip to the closest village and stole up all of the men- what were those weak human women going to do- stop them? Ha. Fat chance. They carried off all of the men, enjoyed them as husbands for a couple months, and when they were bored of them, they ate them. The best dessert they had enjoyed in eons.
They continued to do this, of course taking gaps in between the robbery, brief marriage, and consumption cycle to enjoy being single Goblins- “How is someone else going to enjoy your company if you don’t enjoy it yourself?” They would say to one another, despite the fact that the someone else was in fact a captive who wasn't going to enjoy Goblin company in any fashion.
After a few rotations of this husband theft, the Goblins were thwarted by a group of women who had been training for these She-Goblins' arrival. These particular women were from a town famed in human-dom for their height and strength. The Goblins, of course, had never heard of these women- they didn't speak to any humans. Not even the temporary husbands of the Goblins were able to get a word in edgewise to tell them of the gargantuan women, Goblins are very talkative creatures. The tall and strong women could put up a good fight against a Goblin on a good day- but winning was not guaranteed. So they trained and got even stronger, though no taller unfortunately. They hid their men away in the back rooms of their shacks and houses. They prepared weapons. When the She-Goblins arrived in the dead of night, all dressed up in preparation for marriage, they saw no men- all they saw was a large group of incredibly muscular and remarkably tall ladies whose faces meant nothing but business. These human ladies with muscles of steel rumbled and tumbled with the be-gowned She-Goblins, and they tussled with them until dawn broke. All of the She-Goblins had been bound and gagged except the smallest of them who was haphazardly warding off a 6-foot tall 12 year old village girl whose mother was letting her practice fighting on her.
The Goblins were rounded up and sent off to live on a remote island called Ceylon, where they would hopefully have no access to men.
Story adapted from the original Goblin City.
Authors Note:
I decided to give the Goblins a different method of husband thieving, and to create a group of human women who could save the men from the Goblins instead of someone magical, and to give a bit of a twist ending that made the whole story end up as a prequel to the original story.



Hey, Ava!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this story! I think that the collective decision-making between the she-goblins always makes me smile.
"We're all alone and there's nobody here besides us!"
"Let's go kidnap some men. If I go to kidnap some men, will you come with me?"
That kind of dialogue I imagine makes for really bizarre and funny material. But I really liked your narrative-based interjections like "Ha. Fat chance". They really added a sense of authorial aesthetic.
I really enjoyed your retelling and I hope to hear more from you later in the semester.
Cheers,
Chris
Hi Ava!
ReplyDeleteI really liked your version of Goblin City. I don’t know why, but it gave off a Wonder Woman vibe. I’m not sure if you’ve seen the movie, but she is an incredibly strong woman who is taller than the average female, and she comes from an island with no men (I believe). I love how in your story, the men are considered the damsels in distress. It’s hardly ever that I see women saving the men! Bravo to you for that!
Hi Ava,
ReplyDeleteI was shocked at how invested I was in the story of the goblin women. I honestly almost wish they had won against the other women because their story was so intriguing to me and I was kind of rooting for them with how they were introduced first as the main characters.
I wonder if it might work better to include more of a background of the warrior women instead so that they can be more identified with within the story. For instance, what are they like? Why should I root for them instead of for the goblins?
Also, I enjoyed the whole idea of them being defeated by the women, but I was also intrigued by another plotline within this story. What if you portrayed a goblin, different from all the other goblins, that was truly just trying to find love and didn't agree with what the other goblins were doing? I think this would offer a very interesting twist of events on the typical goblin that you describe in the first couple paragraphs.
Overall, it was an awesome story, Ava!