Reading Notes: Jakata Tales

Reading Notes:

Title: Jataka Tales

Author: Ellen C. Babbitt

Illustrator: Ellsworth Young


Year: 1912

 

The Monkey and the Crocodile

This was another version of a story I read last week, I liked this one a little better, the monkey had more chances to show off his cleverness against the crocodile. I think that the way this author tells stories is nice, I like the use of language she employs.

How the Turtle Saved His Own Life

This one was very short and sweet- I enjoyed the straightforward story telling and it was fun to read, and it was more of a traditional story or fable type of writing which would be fun to try to emulate.

I liked this one too, it had a clear lesson and was another traditionally narrated story, I like this author’s style of writing quite a bit.

This is a pretty common “tale” and I like reading it each time. At this point I would feel comfortable writing my own version without having any up for reference, but I liked this version a lot. 

This one was cute and I liked it. I thought the plot was pretty straight forward and it was kind of easy to guess what would happen next, it would be fun to tell it in a more mysterious fashion.

This one lost me a little bit, maybe because there were no animals in it. I think it could be a little more interesting, but I still liked it.

This one was another with a clear lesson of teamwork and division- I thought it was fun to read and the story was good so was the language used. 

This one was silly, but it was fun to read. The stories without any animals read a little different than the ones who tell stories through the animals, I don’t know why but they feel less like a tale or a fable and more like a parable- all of which are similar but a little different.

The Foolish, Timid Rabbit

This one was more like the fables I read growing up, I liked it- I like the use of language I think it is a nice story to read. I would think would be interesting to try and recreate the way she writes her stories myself.



Comments

Popular Posts